[DCRM-L] FW: BRS and rare books/material

Thu Oct 15 13:54:21 MDT 2009

Thanks, Jain; I'd plum clean forgotten about DCRM(B) appendix C. It
would be instructive to compare appendixes for core records in DCRB and
DCRM(B); I suspect the only difference will be the change in acronym.

I did read Windy's article, but I don't have it at hand (I'm at home); I
thought the evidence was that very few agencies were using DCRB Core.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Fletcher, Jain
Sent: Thursday, 15 October, 2009 15:37
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] FW: BRS and rare books/material

Hi, Deborah,

   Well, of course, the Rare Book Core is given as Appendix C in
DCRM(B). Now I hadn't noticed this earlier (or I would have said
something), but it looks to me as if someone took the requirements of
DCRB Core and spelled them out, field-by-field, in that Appendix.
However, in doing so, they changed all the "DCRB" designations to
"DCRM(B)". At least, I hope they used the exact requirements as approved
by PCC and RBMS/BSC and didn't change them. Because, only DCRB was
approved to be used as the basis for the "Rare Book Core" record. Still,
Bob and I (who were on the original Joint Task Group) believe there is
complete compatibility between the 2 eds., with respect to the "core"
requirements. When DCRM(B) was going through its revision, we felt it
would probably only be a matter of getting DCRM(B) approved as the basis
of the "Rare Book Core" and that we (BSC) should move on it.
Unfortunately, this BRS initiative has probably taken this next step out
of our hands. Word is that "they" (won't name names) want no more "core"
records, so everyone's either going to have to come up with a BRS or opt
out entirely.

   People are indeed using the DCRB Core; our own Windy Lundy did an
excellent article on it in LRTS, v.47, no.1 (p. 16-27).

--Jain

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575

v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu <mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>