[DCRM-L] Cataloging 18th-century colonial document - "f" in place of "s"

Stephen Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 4 08:59:31 MDT 2009

Margaret's right, and I think Allison meant to type "... Christ" as well,
just as she'd typed "thousand."

It isn't always easy to see, but the "s" and "f" are slightly different: the
crossbar in the "f" goes all the way through. In the long "s" there's either
no bar at all, or there's a spur on one side only.

And you shouldn't create title added entries with "f" instead of "s" either.
Just transcribe it as "s" and you're done.

Stephen

Stephen Skuce
Rare Books Program Coordinator
Institute Archives and Special Collections
MIT Room 14N-118
77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
617.253.0654