[DCRM-L] Relator terms/codes practices

Sat Sep 12 14:05:15 MDT 2009

Some of you may have seen a recent conversation topic on Autocat (I
think) about relator terms and codes. By coincidence, I just finished
reading Windy Lundy's "Provenance evidence in bibliographic records,"
Library resources & technical services, 52:3 (July 2008).

In the context of a small collection of a mountaineering collection,
Univ of Colo (Boulder) staff uncovered a compelling little story of a
family of mountaineering enthusiasts through the  inscriptions and
autographs on some 60 books. It got me thinking about what other rare
materials catalogers do regarding relators.

How specific do you get? Do you use "former owner" for everything? Or do
you use the most specific term, such as "inscriber" or "signer"?

What about modern books, say, when a reader or staff person donates a
book to your collection? Do you note, trace?

What about the immediate source of acquisition? Do you note or trace the
name of the bookseller? the donor?

What about-for those of you who have an Acquisitions or Adopt-a-Book
event-those who reimburse you for the purchase price and so get their
name on a bookplate, but have never owned the book? What are the PR
consequences of tracing/not tracing?

Maybe this would be a good MASC topic.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS Chair 2009-2010 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>