[DCRM-L] Cataloging of single leaves

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:32:42 MDT 2010

Well, it's really an incomplete item, not an incomplete manifestation
(which is a class, the items being the individuals of the class). I've
never liked this situation either, and there's no excuse for a such
rules-based disservice to our patrons. A lamb chop is not a lamb.

Might one approach the problem by declaring, at the outset, that a
fragmentary copy is not merely imperfect, but a different thing
altogether, which should be described as such? We don't treat the leaf
in a leaf-book as a copy (I hope), and what we're talking about is
leaf-books without a book--ignoble fragments. (Treating a fragment as an
imperfect copy has an analogue in the wrong-headed LC policy of
cataloging reformatted manifestations by way of describing the original
and adding a note-fine, or at least workable for a single institution,
perhaps, but a perfect misery in a union database like the WorldCat.)

Is this something that Bib Standards might want to consider? I've a
sense that it may not have been a burning issue in the past, because
many libraries would have dealt with fragments in-house only; but add
your leaf as a holding to the OCLC master record for the book and it
becomes everybody's problem. In any case, I don't think FRBR, as it
stands, comes to our rescue, though the scattered fragments of
individual books do constitute a roughly definable class, a sort of
post-production manifestation of which any one fragment is an instance.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU