[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Sun Aug 15 16:48:13 MDT 2010

Many thanks, Bob! This is something the DCRM(G) editors are actively
thinking about, too, since we plan to incorporate RDA options through a
combination of boxed alternatives and an appendix on RDA content type,
media type, and carrier type (as an alternative to the required GMD for
graphic materials) in situations where there is no material-specific
reason to deviate.

For brevigraphs, I wonder if extending the DCRM use of "&" instead of
"[et]" or its equivalents should be considered for  macrons (or whatever
the bar over a letter indicating missing letters is called). RDA says to
transcribe all symbols and characters as found except those "that cannot
be reproduced by the facilities available. Silently omitting the bar
does not represent what's on the page, and I know from the number of
preliminary records I see where the bar has to be deleted and replaced
by an expansion in square brackets that it can often be reproduced by
the facilities available.

RDA's instruction to use "a description of the symbol enclosed in square
brackets" for characters and symbols makes me wonder how many of these
symbols have been named by paleographers.  Not that I would necessarily
advocate using those names, I'm just wondering about the possibilities.
Ah... looking at the examples for RDA 1.7.5 again, I think "a
description" can easily be interpreted to include expansions. The first
example is "Robust H [proportional to] stabilization of stochastic
hybrid systems with Wiener process" and NOT "Robust H [proportional to
symbol]..." or  "Robust H [squiggly thing that looks like a sideways 8
with the right 1/4 missing]..."

The question of using [sic] does, I think, have some bearing on DCRM
principles: because faithful transcription is key, and because human
error is always possible, it seems a DCRM record should require
acknowledgement of the error some other way. That is, omit the "if"
clause from RDA's "Make a note correcting the inaccuracy if it is
considered to be important for identification or access." For special
collections materials, it's always important.

I hope other DCRM(G) editors will chime in, too. Also, I LOVE the use of
separate sets of square brackets around each supplied element. We've
been re-purposing MARC data to a digital image collection and having
Place, Publisher, and Date display as separate fields means lots of
un-paired brackets.

   EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D. | Curator of Art & Special Collections | Folger
Shakespeare Library | 201 E. Capitol St. SE | Washington, DC 20003-1004
eblake at folger.edu