[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Karen Attar Karen.Attar at london.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 02:32:22 MDT 2010

On the whole I am shy of contributing to the DCRM(B) list because I am
afraid of being shouted down - but I would like to support everything
said in the email below.

Heroes of bibliography trailblazed to get the shortest form that was
clear and internationally understandable (another way of phrasing the
end of Richard's first paragraph). The rare book cataloguing community -
and also, incidentally, the antiquarian bookselling community and the
academic community - show through having adopted these conventions the
belief that they achieved it. Why destroy it?

I'd go beyond everybody understanding 'p.', and like to ask how people
come to rare books. If they've done a Master's course in an academic
subject - which I suggest is a typical British way in - they'll have
learned standard abbreviations for formats.

Re the mass of verbiage: rare book catalogue records are likely to
contain a lot of words anyway through a preponderance of general and
copy-specific notes which add research value and sometimes essential
information. If there are extra unnecessary words in the descriptive
area of the record, will the reader reach the notes - or will his eye
glaze over?

Also: rare books, especially of the hand-press period, are an
international, not a national  heritage. Certainly in my library I have
far more early printed books published in languages other than England
and countries outside the British Isles than I do STC/Wing items. Of
course we have notes in our own language, that's inevitable, and the
advanced nature of Anglo-American catalogues makes English a default
language anyway. But spelling out "unnumbered leaves" etc reduces
internationality by having a language element which isn't necessary.

Re uniformity: by becoming uniform with RDA by spelling everything out
we in fact lose uniformity with ESTC and with printed bibliographies.

Perhaps we need to think about our users, and why we do what we do. What
would the leading lights of the Bibliographical Society of America think
of the proposed spellings out?

Karen

Dr Karen Attar

Rare Books Librarian

Senate House Library, University of London

Senate House

Malet St

London

WC1E 7HU

Tel. 020 7862 8472

The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales and a
charity registered in Scotland (reg. no. SC041194)