[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:12:30 MDT 2010

Well, yes, I've been addressing the whole range of conventions by which
we're able to compress our notation to something readable at a glance and
easy to compare with other descriptions.  I simply cited "p." rhetorically,
as the ultimate point of absurdity to which these rules would reduce us. Nor
do I think that RDA does the "general" public any favors, in this particular
area: nobody talks this way.

I am, of course, very much in agreement with Karen Attar, that this
discussion actually concerns many more people than those in the tight little
world within which RDA cooked this up. Especially as a member of the BSA
Publications Committee, I am appalled at so gross a departure from
conventions that we share with many constituencies. I think it may be time
to take this discussion to exlibris-l and perhaps sharp-l. I would be happy
to draft a succinct and, I promise, dispassionate posting to exlibris-l,
specifically concerning the statement of extent, with reference also to
possible effects on signature and collation notes.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU