[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Aug 26 13:42:11 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of John Attig
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:07 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

John says:

In this sense, I think I disagree with Bob's statement that there is no
rare book reason to depart from a descriptive convention.  We are
working within a scholarly community of users who do understand certain
descriptive conventions and who would actually find our current Extent
statements easier to interpret than the proposed RDA conventions.  It
seems to me that this is a sufficient justification for us to consider
developing alternative instructions (which will miraculously turn out to
look much like the current DCRM(B) rules!) for recording the extent of
rare materials.

Bob say:

This may be true in the context of a very few catalogs such as the Folger's. This is not true in the context of most catalogs nowadays. DCRMB records coexist with general records and we can't assume that only the scholarly community of users will encounter and use our records.

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568