[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Thu Aug 26 14:58:31 MDT 2010

The statement of extent in DCRM(B) contains two kinds of information:
what the resource says about itself (the pagination or foliation), and
what is true about the resource (the accounting of every leaf in a
book). I can see making the argument that the accounting for
unpaginated/unfoliated leaves that are not inferred to be part of a
sequence is in fact supplied by the cataloger and comes from outside the
resource.

And I must say, how can this statement:

"2 unnumbered pages, iv pages, 1 unnumbered page, iv-xvii pages, 3
unnumbered pages, 348, that is, 332 pages, 6 unnumbered pages, 24 pages,
2 unnumbered pages."

*possibly* be easier to understand than the current practice by
*anybody*, even if they don't quite know what the brackets mean in
statements of extent?
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS past chair 2010-2011 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu