[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Fri Aug 27 06:46:38 MDT 2010

We can all do something informal. But it needn't (and shouldn't) be an
either/or audience for cataloging. You're cataloging for everyone who
must use those records for whatever reason, including buying material,
managing collections, creating exhibitions, answering reference
questions, and sitting in your reading room.

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Bryan, Anna
Sent: Friday, 27 August, 2010 06:41
To: 'DCRM Revision Group List'
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record

Has anyone asked the users of our records how they find the bracketing
and abbreviations?  Have any studies been done?  Are our scholarly users
of say, my generation (i.e. fifties and later) comfortable with them
because we grew up on catalog cards, where compression was crucial,
while those in their 20s find them cryptic and not useful?

As for the complaint of more keying, I use macros and templates for
repetitive keying.  Setting up a macro for "unnumbered pages" and
"pages" is not very onerous.

But I am curious:  have rare book catalogers actually *asked* patrons of
various generations what works best for them?  I'm not cataloging for
other catalogers.  I'm cataloging for patrons, myself.

Anna Bryan
Sr. Cataloger
Library of Congress

I speak only for myself (obviously).