[DCRM-L] BYU's 1st RDA/DCRMB record: WorldCat & rare book data

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Fri Aug 27 18:17:06 MDT 2010

Regarding Liz’s last comment about OCLC and the desirability of making all rare book information more accessible … OCLC is currently working very hard toward this goal. Some of you may recall that OCLC’s Matt Goldner convened a working group of rare book and archival cataloging experts two years ago to study this in the context of WorldCat Local; both the wg’s report and OCLC response are on the RBMS Bib Standards Committee’s website at http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/index.shtml (scroll to bottom of the page).

It may be fair to say that display and indexing of full data from cataloging members was the working group’s #1 priority—and of course the most difficult one to achieve, since storing bibliographic information beyond the master record is the polar opposite of the long-standing WorldCat paradigm. Nevertheless, much work is going on internally to define the MARC bib fields that it’ll be possible (when implemented) to retain in LHRs (library holdings records).

A good conversation about this issue occurred on this listserv earlier this year.

Jackie Dooley

Program Officer

OCLC Research and the RLG Partnership

949.492.5060 (office/home)