[DCRM-L] Going from Core-Level to BIBCOStandard Record inDCRM(G)

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Dec 1 03:14:02 MST 2010

Looks like you're okay on the 050, Aislinn: the OCLC documentation you
cited says "One number from a recognized scheme if available" and the
"if available" part puts it in line with the BSR for Rare Books.

In terms of DCRM(G) Appendix C, if we do want to provide a middle-level
between minimal and full, then I'm back to thinking Appendix C should
define what DCRM(G) considers the second level of description, and make
no reference to BIBCO (except to say that back when there was a BIBCO
core, this is the appendix where it was described).

Basically, DCRM(G) would be saying that there isn't a BSR for "rare"
Graphic Materials. If you're a BIBCO library, and include 040$e dcrmg in
a full-level record, then that record has to meet the DCRM standard for
"full" as well as the BSR for Graphic Materials standard for "full."
This wouldn't apply to Rare Books, because the BSR for Rare Books
explicitly says to use 040$e dcrmb, but the BSR for Graphic Materials
leaves the 040 unstated; indeed, it says "use AACR2...for guidance" and
makes no mention of Graphic Materials, the current descriptive
cataloging standard for graphic materials in special collections (making
things especially confusing: the BSR MAP and the descriptive cataloging
standard are both called Graphic Materials). See
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/BSR_GM_3Sept-2010.pdf for the
Graphic Materials BSR MAP.

For reference, I've attached what Graphic Materials says about the three
levels of description (and I think I'm remembering correctly that this
list accepts attachments). The DCRM(G) version of the same three levels
would be slightly different.

Does anyone know if there even are BIBCO libraries using Graphic
Materials (the existing standard) in creating pcc records? If there's no
BIBCO demand for instructions on rare graphic materials, then there's no
point letting this hold DCRM(G) up.

Thanks,

   EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  | Washington, DC
20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu