[DCRM-L] Question about 5B9.1: counting leaves of plates folded and bound at the inner margin

McCallum, Rebecca rmccallum at wesleyan.edu
Wed Dec 1 13:35:08 MST 2010

Hello everyone,

I'd like to make sure that I'm correctly understanding DCRM(B) 5B9.1, specifically the sentence that says:
"Count a plate folded and bound at the inner margin as two leaves of plates."

I'm currently editing our bib record for John Ogilby's "America: being the latest, and most accurate description of the Nevv VVorld..." published in 1671.

The book is full of plates that are folded and bound at the inner margin, as described in 5B9.1, but which really each represent a single image or map printed as a single leaf.

In various records in OCLC (none of which are DCRM(B) records, and only one of which is DCRB), the number of leaves of plates is generally listed as [57].  However, if I count those folded plates as two leaves, the total count should really be [107] leaves of plates.  Is DCRM(B) departing from previous practice here?  If so, how can I indicate that there are really only 57 images, rather than 107?

Thank you for any clarification on this!

- Rebecca

Rebecca McCallum
Cataloging Librarian
Wesleyan University