[DCRM-L] Going from Core-Level to BIBCOStandard Record inDCRM(G)

Barrett, Marcia mbarrett at ua.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:14:36 MST 2010

I asked Becky Culbertson for clarification about how records previously known as core level records are to be defined, now that the BSR has been implemented.   Below is her response as well as an official response from OCLC indicating that core level records can be contributed by any library not contributing records through the PCC.  The wording in Bib Formats will be updated in December to reflect these changes, with core level cataloging defined as "Records that meet at least the requirements of first-level description (AACR2, rule 1.0D1) and meet some requirements of second-level description (AACR2, rule 1.0D2).  The core standard is a less-than-full standard, but is more inclusive than Minimal-level."

Marcia Barrett

Special Collections Cataloger

University Libraries

The University of Alabama