[DCRM-L] Question about 5B9.1: counting leaves of plates folded and bound at the inner margin

Bryan, Anna abry at loc.gov
Thu Dec 2 04:39:52 MST 2010

One of the advantages of working in a very large collection as I do is to see that what is in one copy double plates is in another folded plates.  My guess is that it depended on the binder, and is not standard across copies.

This is why when I have double plates, I always add the note:  The plates are double.

And, I frequently need to amend the description in copy-specific notes because other copies are just as complete and have a different arrangement.  Sometimes folded plates are cut down to the plate marks and squeezed into the binding as single leaves of plates.  And so forth.

This is only my experience; I've never heard others comment on this.  Do others also find this to be the case?

Anna R. Bryan
Senior Cataloger
Rare Materials Section
US Anglo Division