[DCRM-L] FW: Correction Re: DPC: Wording of i/j/u/v conversion

Wed Dec 8 11:57:20 MST 2010

I like:

0G2.2  If the rules for capitalization require converting the letters I or V to lowercase, or i, j, u, or v to uppercase, follow the pattern of usage in the text to determine which letter form to use. [footnote 8; retain as is]

G4.2 As instructed in 0G2.2, when the rules for capitalization require converting the letters I or V to lowercase, or i, j, u, or v to uppercase, follow the pattern of usage in the text to determine which letter form to use.*

*An uppercase J in the source signals that i and j are functioning as separate letters, requiring no special consideration while converting case. Likewise, an uppercase U in the source signals that u and v are functioning as separate letters, requiring no special consideration while converting case.

p.s. One of the reasons for re-writing the footnote to verbally separate I/J from U/V is to make it clearer that the morphing of u and v from one to separate letters doesn't mean that the same printer also used i and j as separate letters. That is, a single work can have a modern distribution concerning u/v, and a premodern distribution concerning i/j. It's probably not worth trying to spell all that out in the rules, but the slight redundancy in the footnote should dispel any implication of necessary simultaneity.