[DCRM-L] transcription of info following curly bracket

Fri Feb 12 14:46:18 MST 2010

I think we didn't include a rule because it's best left to cataloger's
judgment. Either Stephen's (transcribe Chez once) or Annie's (transcribe
Chez once, and supply it the second time) would be fine. What wouldn't
be fine is to transcribe Chez twice.

__________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
RBMS Chair 2009-2010 | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | 202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Stephen A Skuce
Sent: Friday, 12 February, 2010 16:36
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] transcription of info following curly bracket

I don't think we've included a rule for this, and I can't remember why
not, but the practice is pretty clear, I think.

You definitely would not transcribe "Chez" more than once; it only
appears once.

I would give the 260 roughly as:

$b Chez Brunet Libraire ... , Vente Libraire ...,  $c MDCCLXXXIII [1783]

and definitely include a note:

500     On title page, the publishers are gathered by a left brace,
relating each name to the word "chez."

Stephen

Stephen Skuce

Rare Books Program Coordinator

Institute Archives and Special Collections

MIT Room 14N-118

77 Mass. Ave.

Cambridge MA 02139-4307

617.253.0654