[DCRM-L] Non-LC classification

Ann Myers amyers at lib.siu.edu
Thu Jan 21 07:32:49 MST 2010

David,

We have moved away from LC Classification in the last year. Books are
now cataloged and shelved according to a simple numeric system. The
primary consideration for us was lack of space in our rare book shelving
area - the numeric system means we don't have to leave space in the
middle for possible interfiling. We've also seen the advantages of
faster cataloging and a simpler training process for anyone doing
shelving or working with the catalog records. The only potential
downside that anyone has raised is that patrons will no longer be able
to browse through the catalog by call number, but I am not convinced
that many people had previously been doing that, and there are subject
headings and collection names in the records to help bring like things
together in the catalog. The advantages of this system have far
outweighed any possible disadvantages.

I'd be happy to share more details about how we implemented the change,
so feel free to contact me with more questions if you have them.

--Ann

Ann Myers

Special Collections Cataloger

Morris Library Mail Code 6632