[DCRM-L] Omitting lengthy parallel titles

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Sun Jan 31 18:54:12 MST 2010

Dear DCRM experts,

DCRM(B) and DCRM(S) say "If parallel titles and other title information appearing on the title page have been omitted from the title and statement of responsibility area (e.g., because they could not be fitted into the body of the entry, or because they were very lengthy), they may be given here as notes."

However, I can't find the corresponding instruction in Area 1 that says it's okay to omit very lengthy parallel titles. There are instructions for abridgments of the title proper, but by definition that excludes parallel titles.

Am I missing something, or does an instruction about abridging parallel titles need to be added to future DCRM manuals?

Thanks,

  EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D. | Curator of Art & Special Collections | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 E. Capitol St. SE | Washington, DC 20003-1004 | office tel. 202.675-0323 | fax 202.675-0328 | e-mail: eblake at folger.edu