[DCRM-L] English Bible puzzle

Ann Myers amyers at lib.siu.edu
Wed Jun 30 11:52:28 MDT 2010

I have an English Bible which is proving particularly difficult to
catalog. The problem turned out to be that the title page does not match
the edition of the text. I have determined that the text is a 1603
edition of the Bible, printed by Robert Barker. It essentially matches
STC (2nd ed.) 2189 (ESTC S101940) with the exception of the placement of
a few preliminary leaves (some that precede the New Testament in STC
2189 precede the Old Testament in my copy, and some that precede the Old
Testament in STC 2189 are lacking in my copy). However, the title page,
instead of being that for Robert Barker's 1603 edition, is the title
page for Christopher Barker's 1599 edition with the year artfully masked
and replaced with 1603.

So now my question is how best to catalog this? It seems like I should
treat it as an imperfect copy for which the details of a perfect copy
can be determined (following DCRM(B) 0B2.2) and attach our holdings to a
record for STC 2189, but I've never had an imperfect copy where the bulk
of the imperfection was the title page itself. Do I include a 246 in our
local catalog for the title page of the book in hand and make
copy-specific notes as appropriate? Or is there a different strategy I
should use?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

--Ann

Ann Myers