[DCRM-L] printing variations

Charles F Tremper cftrempe at syr.edu
Tue Mar 2 08:32:25 MST 2010

Dear all-I have 2 versions of an 1852 Auburn, NY imprint.  One chief difference is printer, with one printed in Auburn, the other in NYC.  There are minor differences in how t.p. appears (typeface and use of ampersands), but both have the same publication and copyright dates.  However, there are minor differences in pagination and some variations, not all minor, in content and order of material.  The OCLC records for both print and electronic versions reflect the NYC variant.

I am uncertain as what to do on OCLC; SU Library is not yet creating institutional records and I'm not sure I see a justification for a new master OCLC record, since the total number of pages is the same, with the  Auburn printing having a gap of 9 numbers between the Roman and Arabic sequences where the NYC version has no gap.

Would replacing the OCLC master record with information on the variant version be the best way to proceed?

Thanks, chas.t.

Charles F. Tremper
Catalogue Librarian
Special Collections Research Center