[DCRM-L] Concealed editions in OCLC - Shorter question

Jane Stemp Wickenden jane.wickenden at zen.co.uk
Wed May 19 15:09:03 MDT 2010

Richard Noble said:

If you can anticipate that six months from now you may have forgotten what
exactly the significance of the variant pagination is, then tell yourself,
and everybody else. We have got to get away, at least in our version of the
game, from the rhetoric of the telegram and the tweet. I cannot tell you how
many times I have been fiercely resentful of the costiveness of explanation
provided in the record for a difficult book, written on the assumption that
our professionalism is on display in the use of sentence fragments and pat
phrases and simply not saying too much. If you have the book in front of
you, and know something about it that helps us understand just what it is,
then do say so. Someday someone somewhere will whisper, "Thanks."

And I say - Oh YES! YES!

Excuse my shouting, but Richard, you have just made my day as a rare-books
cataloguer (all right, evening - it's 2206 in the UK - and no, I am not at
work).

That so exactly sums up why I catalogue the way I do, and I wish I could din
it into the brain of the Administrators who are line-managing me at the
moment. Because working against their grain is hard work indeed.  Thank you
very much!

Jane Wickenden

Historic Collections Library

Institute of Naval Medicine