[DCRM-L] OCLC de-duping algorithms and dates of publication

ANN W. COPELAND auc1 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 2 20:44:34 MDT 2010

Interestingly, when we asked about permissible duplicates (one DCRM, one AACR2)
OCLC said they did NOT want duplicate records. Instead they wanted to merge
records with the DCRM record surviving as the master record. So, why exempt
pre-1800 books from the de-duping? Why not work the algorithm to favor DCRM?

Thanks, Annie

On Tue, Nov  2, 2010 08:00 PM, "Erin Blake" <EBlake at FOLGER.edu> wrote:

>Following up on Jackie’s message about the OCLC webinar, note
that it was specifically pre-1800 books that Jay said were exempt from OCLC’s
de-duping algorithms, not pre-1800 imprints. For cartographic materials, Jay
said the  cut-off date was 1900. He didn’t mention a date for published
graphic
materials. Does anyone know what the cut-off date there is?

>Thanks,

>   Erin.

>Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special
Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |
Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202)
675-0328  | eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu