[DCRM-L] RDA Follow-up to "Cataloging Defensively" Webinar re edition statements

Mon Nov 15 15:49:51 MST 2010

We had just such a situation today, with 1903 "ordinary" and "fine
paper" issues of As you like it. I put quotes around "ordinary" because
it is in fact a beautiful volume with t.p. in red, thick, untrimmed
paper, and large margins and font. The "fine paper" issue, however, is
not on paper at all, but on "Imperial Japan vellum" and has hand-colored
illustration and decorations. The two issues are the same size and
setting of type.

Our solution: supply an edition statement to record for the fine copy:
[Imperial Japan vellum issue] with a supporting note, and a reciprocal
note, but without a supplied edition statement, on the other.

This was easy, because we were able to take verbiage from the volume
itself. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to embrace supplied
edition statements is not just that it's polluting the function of the
250, but because of the difficulty of coming up with clear, succinct,
and accurate edition statements without help from the resource or from
bibliographers. A solution for rare English books might be to supply the
STC, Wing, or ESTC number in brackets as an edition statement, in
addition to its use in field 510.  I'm having a harder time thinking
about supplying edition statements for non-English books.

Can we, as a community, keep our minds and options open as we
contemplate how to accommodate RDA? That is, I hope we can keep the
possibility of supplying edition statements, square-bracketed, in
English, on the table.