[DCRM-L] Going from Core-Level to BIBCO Standard Record in DCRM(G)

Ann W. Copeland auc1 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 30 09:22:22 MST 2010

Erin,

In answer to your questions, a and b assumptions are correct but your
"Therefore..." it seems to me is incorrect. I don't think that we should
be giving instructions to use the BSR for Graphic Materials since many
users of DCRM(G) will not be PCC members. DCRM(S) in Appendix D:
Minimal-level records offers a scaled down version of description for a
minimal level record. AACR2 still allows minimal level records, even
though PCC has done away with the core in favor of the BSR for
Monographs (and the BSR for Rare Books).

If you are rewriting DCRM(G) app. C to replace "core" with the BSR, what
will non-pcc libraries do when they want to create a less than full
DCRM(G) record? (This will presumably change when RDA comes out and
there are core elements, not core records, eek!) But for now, I think
you can only point people to documentation for the BSR for Graphic
materials, but write your documentation for a lesser DCRM(G) record that
is not coded pcc.

Annie