[DCRM-L] Cataloging bound-withs

Rebecka Persson persson at bostonathenaeum.org
Thu Oct 14 11:04:15 MDT 2010

Jessica,

For individual titles bound together in one or more volumes we add copy
specific notes in 590 fields. Bibliographic records are then linked together
through the item record(s). Multiple copies of the same title in more than
one volume is not uncommon and this is also specified in 590 fields:

http://catalog.bostonathenaeum.org/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=437277

Individual serial issues bound with monographic titles in more than one
volume is where it gets a bit more complicated! For that, we add binding
notes for each relevant volume (866 41) to the holdings record:

http://catalog.bostonathenaeum.org/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=398316

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Rebecka

Rebecka Persson
Rare Materials Catalog and Reference Librarian
The Boston Athenaeum
10 1/2 Beacon Street
Boston, Mass. 02108
persson at bostonathenaeum.org