[DCRM-L] Editions in notes only

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:32:28 MDT 2011

Folks,

I am cataloging a few cloth books.

One item in hand almost completely matches OCLC #191234957, a very nice
record input by the AAS.  The description portion of this record is:

245 00 Cinderella. 260 New York, : ?b McLoughlin Brothers publishers, ?c
[1869?] 300 [12] p. : ?b col. ill. ; ?c 20 cm. 490 1 Aunt Friendly's
colored picture books 500 Title, imprint, and series statement transcribed
from p. [1] of wrapper. Series title transposed from head of wrapper. 500
Illustrations signed "J.H. 69" (i.e., Justin Howard, 1869?). "The
wonderful adventures of Humpty Dumpty, in two volumes issued late in fall
of 1869."--publisher's advertisement, lower cover. 500 Wrapper printed in
red and black ink. 500 Color illustrations produced by a relief process
(zinc etching?). 500 Last page blank. 500 "Picture books for little
children."--publisher's advertisement, p. [4] of wrapper.

Where my item differs is that the last page is not blank and that the
entire item is printed on Linen and has that word on the top of the
cover/wrapper.  What the AAS calls the wrapper is in the same material as
the rest of the book, and together make up [12] p. (I am not sure where
the AAS "wrapper" is counted in the [12] p.).

I have a similar problem with OCLC #25881566, where there is a 500 note
that says, ""This is one of the Volland 'Flaxtex Books'."--Back cover."
while my text says "This is one of the Volland Cloth Books." and the book
does not have any wrappers as mentioned in another note.

Any suggestions on how I might catalog these so that they will not be
merged into the existing OCLC records?

Thanks,
Larry

--