[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Thu Aug 4 10:24:04 MDT 2011

Dear all,

The task force Erin mentioned appears in this way in the Bib Standards
minutes for Annual 2011 (from
http://rbms.info/committees/minutes/minutes.shtml#bibliographic_standard
s) :

16. Action plan (All-but-inevitable advent of RDA and its impact on
DCRM)

Skuce called for the formation of a group to formulate recommendations
regarding RDA's impact on DCRM. Initial volunteers for the task force
were Deborah J. Leslie and Catherine Uecker; John Attig was named as
another potential member. Fletcher recommended that since the RDA
guidelines are going to be rewritten for clarity rather than content,
the task force should synthesize the existing directions using their own
wording rather than quoting directly from the existing guidelines.
Leslie pointed out that since the national libraries will be adopting
RDA in a modified way we don't want to get ahead of practice, but we can
begin establishing general principles and wait on specific
recommendations. Barrett mentioned that OLAC is making suggestions
regarding the rewording of problematic areas; perhaps BSC could also
contribute suggestions for problem areas related to rare materials.

You can be sure that any changes in DCRM practice won't be formulated or
implemented without wide discussion. Speaking for myself and not as a
member of the Task Force, I expect that actual revision of DCRM(B) to
bring it in line with RDA instead of AACR2 is still several years down
the road. The RDA dust has to settle first in the larger cataloging
community, and the rare materials cataloging community will need plenty
of time to assess the fallout and make decisions that best serve the
users of our materials and the users of our catalogs. The task force
just formed will not produce that kind of thorough assessment, but
rather the approach that we want to take now that RDA in some form will
be implemented by the national libraries. (At least that's what I'm
thinking-we don't have a charge yet.)

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare
Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu <mailto:djleslie at folger.edu>  | 202.675-0369 |
http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu/>