[DCRM-L] Eliminating an RDA option in DCRM(G) draft: want to allow "i.e." and "[sic]"

Lenore Rouse rouse at cua.edu
Fri Aug 5 10:28:37 MDT 2011

  I agree with Larry's assessment - realistic and balanced as always.
Considering the
records I see in OCLC, created according to no standard at all (vendor
records,
output of some foreign libraries, recon records made without benefit of
item in hand, etc. etc.)
I am willing to endure the added dissonance of [sic]s and  [i.e.]s which
at least provide some
reassurance that the cataloger who generated the record was not asleep
at the wheel.
Unless millions of records are cleaned up and converted to new
standards, whether
RDA or something different, inconsistencies will remain long after we
have all died, retired,
or succumbed to carpal tunnel syndrome.

--
Lenore M. Rouse
Curator, Rare Books and Special Collections

PHONE: 202 319-5090
E-MAIL: rouse at cua.edu