[DCRM-L] ESTC printer tracings: a question about assignees

John Lancaster jjlancaster at me.com
Sun Dec 11 18:56:49 MST 2011

Thanks, Deborah - I’m profoundly ignorant of the LC/NACO rules, and can’t find anything on point in a quick web search.  It seems odd that rules would prohibit making useful and informative references, but I suppose it’s not surprising.

I used to follow the Folger practice of giving the full name in a note, until I realized how the publisher/printer/bookseller is indexed in various OPACs, i.e. from the 260, not from notes or entries.  Though it shouldn’t be too hard to pick up names from the 700/710 entries that have appropriate relators in subfield e (and then you wouldn’t have to worry about inflected forms in Latin imprints, variant forms, typos, and the like, when searching).

I second your comments on Sarah Werner’s blog.