[DCRM-L] FW: Controlling More Headings in WorldCat

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Wed Dec 14 13:00:08 MST 2011

Jackie Dooley asked me off-list what an "IR" was and I realized I should clarify:

IR = "Institutional Record".  A hold-overs from the RLIN merger where we get to hang individual records off the Master.  They aren't in the default search for Connexion/First Search so you have to set your settings to see them.  They do index/search in WORLDCAT but don't display as individual records.   Which can get confusing if you "hit" a tracing that's not on the Master Record.

They can be useful in parsing out copy-specific variations or occasionally in finding a more fleshed out cataloged record.

They are excluded from OCLC controlled headings which is a mixed blessing.  My catalogers can't take advantage of the functionality of checking for authorized headings, but we're also protected from any bad automated heading flips.

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Rare Book Cataloger
Huntington Library
dauyong at huntington.org<mailto:dauyong at huntington.org>