[DCRM-L] Automated authority control

Mon Feb 7 07:14:34 MST 2011

Thanks to John and Manon for their advice. We still welcome any other comments, either on the list or privately, as we continue to work out our local workflows.

-----Original Message-----
From: Manon Theroux [mailto:manon.theroux at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 05 February, 2011 16:55
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Cc: Deborah J. Leslie
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Automated authority control

Deborah,

When I was Authority Control Librarian at Yale, we were a Backstage
customer. This was a few years ago, but as I recall:

My highest priorities were the reports for suspicious indicators and
tags, split headings, deleted headings, and changed headings.

I mostly ignored the unmatched headings (since we did not require
catalogers to create an authority record for every heading) though I
would sometimes scan them looking for obviously mispelled headings.

I also mostly ignored the partial heading matches (as I recall, most
were subject headings with free-floating subdivisions and were
perfectly valid, there just wasn't a subject authority record for the
string; now that LC has created so many "validation records" for such
headings, I imagine this report is much shorter than it used to be).

Much depends on the number of staff processing the reports, the level
of their expertise, how much time they have to spend on the reports,
how good your system's global change functionality is, the volume and
type of bib records being sent to Backstage, and the amount of
authority work performed "up front" when cataloging.

A couple of "special collections" issues that I remember:

-- When processing changed heading reports, I'd always have to be wary
of changing headings without dates to headings with dates, but
especially so with provenance tracings.

-- Family name headings in 100 and 700 fields in archival records
would get reported as incorrect (because the names are established in
subject authority records and coded as not valid for name headings);
I'd just ignore them.

Manon

--
Manon Théroux