[DCRM-L] edition, state

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Feb 7 11:36:15 MST 2011

For what it's worth, an elaborate single-record counter-example is available
as

http://josiah.brown.edu/record=b2229625

This corresponds to OCLC 31081012, a severely truncated version of a record
that began life on RLIN as a revision and expansion of a Cornell record.
Something's been done to it subsequently--the signatures note for the  8vo
(Brown has both) is gone, and the record seems to have been re-founded on
the LC record, per the 040.

Anyway, the point is that I interpreted this to represent two states, since
there was no indication whatever that they were intended as two distinct
units of publication, the principle criterion for "issue". The other point
was that I reckoned that holdings would be added indiscriminately to either
of two separate records that I might make; and that the story that I had to
tell depended much on proximity of notes that detailed the points of
variation between the two states.

Moreover, for most people's purposes, these states are duplicates, and would
certainly appear to be so to most users of the catalog. The distinction is
made at a level of analysis that is not prominent--there couldn't be a 250
12mo issue vs. 250 8vo issue, and the addition of "(8vo)" vs. "(12mo)" is
not strong in the context of a comprehensive database.

Take it as you will. I might try to create separate records now, for reasons
which occur to you all. But maybe not. And I'm going to try to restore
something of the story to the OCLC record. (Why it's an M record I have no
idea. The RLIN record was entered as full-level.)

All this aside, the edition one of the weirdest things I've ever seen--it
must have been absurdly labor intensive to re-impose every gathering, but so
they did.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU