[DCRM-L] Collation: partially duplicated signing

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Oct 4 20:50:11 MDT 2011

Well, in the "for what it's worth" department, I think the nearest WWBD*
formula would be

[A]4 πB4 b-i4, B-3X4

which is how I infer from Bowers' preferences expressed on p. 216 and 220.
Not to infer [A] is improper where, as usual in English practice--I assume
this is an English book--the printer began the text with B, reserving A for
the first gathering (Bowers p. 216). The B signature in the preliminaries is
easily distinguished from the main series B with prefixed pi, interpreting
the word "preliminary" somewhat broadly, and following examples in which a
second or later preliminary gathering is thus differenced (p. 220, a rare
instance of out and out pragmatism in Bowers).

*What Would Bowers Do: RBS Des Bib motto.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU