[DCRM-L] DPC: relocating and editing confusing example in DCRMB7B10.3

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Oct 28 07:40:29 MDT 2011

I heartily agree with Stephen, principally because the underlying approach,
regardless of any imperative to minimize the number and character count of
notes, favors clarity of information. I wish that the notes in question
could be reduced to less tightly prescriptive guidelines, in this case
regarding the graphics or other nontextual content of the book/manifestation
in hand. If one wishes to emphasize technique, or note the range of elements
in which a technique has been used, don't scatter--consolidate and tell the
story.

But I have largely given up on these discussions, because I think we are
pursuing a will-o-the-wisp, when we're not perfectly aligning the deck
chairs on the Titanic. The attempt to produce the impeccably anonymous,
perfectly generic record is one I long ago gave up on, after seeing how
often it devolved into withholding and fragmenting a potentially coherent
account--frustrated, that is, any attempt to be truly descriptive, to relate
(yes, as succinctly as possible of course) process, structure, and
intellectual content in a way that makes sense and reflects an understanding
of how a given book works, and how it relates to other books.

The kerfuffle over the 250 field for concealed editions was what finally
turned me off this whole crazy project. What it was once impracticable to
discover about a book--in, let's say, 1990--it is now often possible to
determine with a half-hour's intense exploitation of online resources, in
the process perhaps dispelling all sorts of nonsense that resulted from
dealing with these things in isolation. I want to report those findings, and
flag them, and indicate sources. (Unsourced statements in catalog records
are the bane of my existence--I end up screaming at the screen, "How do you
*know* that??") Sometimes I have to loosen the buckles on the AACR/DCRM
strait jacket.

Yes, the rules do, *inter alia*, provide a consistent structure for
descriptive data, which is immensely valuable; but they can, if overdrawn,
distract the wise and provide cover for the foolish. In this forum, I know
that I'm addressing/ranting at the wise, and with apologies beforehand will
revert to lurking and muttering to myself, because I haven't got the time to
puzzle my head over perfectly fitted fill-in-the-blanks notes, and I don't
think you have either.

But still, blessings upon you all for caring so much about the work, in the
face of an uncaring world.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU