[DCRM-L] Full vs abbreviated language in notes

Gillis, Jane jane.gillis at yale.edu
Fri Oct 28 12:47:06 MDT 2011

There is a difference with these two notes:

"Caption title" is used for monographs when the title is from the caption.  It is still used for serials with the note: "Caption title: ", when the caption title is different from the 245.  "Title from caption" is used for serials when the actual 245 is from the caption.  When it is not, you would use the same note as for monographs "Caption title: "  I think this comes about because with serials there are many different titles, and usually not a real title page.  RDA for serials (or continuing resources) still uses the notes: ; title from caption.  ; title from title page. ; title from masthead. , etc. after the 588 field: "Description based on: " followed after the semi-colon by "title from  "