[DCRM-L] Asterism

Mon Oct 31 10:24:42 MDT 2011

Yes, Ron Bogdan points out that it frequently turns out as the third
part of a sequence, in which it makes sense to call it 3*. But if it
appears independently, I will use "[asterism]".

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Monday, 31 October 2011 12:02
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Asterism

Because even though it may be in a standard dictionary, "asterism" is
not a "standard" word, but a rather esoteric printer's term--as esoteric
as it is when used to mean "a small group of stars" or "the optical
phenomenon of a star-shaped figure exhibited by some crystals by
reflected light (as in a star sapphire) or by transmitted light (as in
some mica)" (Webster3). It's even more esoteric than, say,  "fist",
because it's not one's most immediate thought that there must be "a
word" for the constellations   *** , ***.

In a collational formula it would be inappropriate to write
"[asterism]4", especially because it's most likely to turn up in a
sequence of multiple-asterisk signatures, *-3*, or whatever; and, in nay
case, one disregards such typographic details in the formula proper. In
an explanatory note one might use the term for the sake of compact
phrasing, e.g. "in edition A signature 3* is an upright asterism, in
edition B an inverted one". But I'd still define the term, because I
simply cannot expect even a reasonably sophisticated online catalog user
to understand what the heck I'm talking about, or to have a lot of
interest in looking up a word right at that moment. In a formal
bibliography concerning a body of books in which asterisms turn up with
some frequency, I might indeed use the word without explanation, though
I'd probably define it in a, introductory note on my descriptive
conventions.

Mind you, I still like the word, and am delighted to have had it brought
to our attention. And of course, we could take it as an inspiration to
asterize all sorts of things (asterizein: Gr., to arrange in
constellations).

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Deborah J. Leslie