[DCRM-L] Full vs abbreviated language in notes

Allison Rich allison_rich at brown.edu
Fri Oct 28 10:59:13 MDT 2011

Hello all:

I will never abbreviate things like "t.p." or "h.t." but I do tend to
have a little more of a terse style, leaving out articles and sometimes
verbs.
But notes, like the below, I never abbreviate:

"Includes information on Jesuit missions in Mexico, Brazil, Paraguay,
the Philippines, Japan and China; also includes brief biographies of
important Jesuits and descriptions of Jesuit colleges"

There is no reason to impose "libraryese" on researchers when you can
very easily spell out some of the more common abbreviations known to us
cataloguers.
It makes for a more elegant record, too. But there is no need to go into
verbosity when one can state things in a more succinct style.

~Allison

--

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend,

Allison Rich
Rare Books Cataloguer
John Carter Brown Library
Providence, Rhode Island