[DCRM-L] Use of scanning and OCR in cataloging

Nipps, Karen nipps at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:22:27 MDT 2011

Hi, All - Is anyone out there incorporating into their cataloging the scanning of parts of books (title page, table of contents, etc.) or entire broadsides and then making those scans machine-readable through the use of OCR software? We are considering such an experiment, so I am curious if anyone else has done this and whether they found it effective in increasing the visibility of printed collections. Thanks. - Karen

Karen Nipps
Head, Rare Book Team
Houghton Library
Harvard University