[DCRM-L] License, privilege, and imprimatur statements

Fri Apr 6 13:02:46 MDT 2012

I regret that we didn't directly address the status of license, privilege, and imprimatur statements that appear on the t.p. in DCRM(B). I was trained to silently omit them as falling under 1A2.2, but have for some years advocated making them a quoted note. I'm increasingly uncomfortable with that stance, since statements that either allow the printing or approve the content seem to me to be as much title (or publication) information as other things we regard as other title information.

I'm cataloging something now that has a ruled license statement between the statement of responsibility and the imprint, making it more prominent than the usual "auec priuilege du roy" that appears at the foot of many title pages.

I'm interested in two things from this community: what do you do with these statements, and what do you think ought to be done with such statements?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>