[DCRM-L] License, privilege, and imprimatur statements

Daryl Green dtg4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 02:44:21 MDT 2012

I also always provide access to these statements in a quoted 500 note. I have had, on occasion, instances where a statement of privilege or licence was also intertwined within the imprint and have transcribed it fully in the appropriate 260 field.
These statements add valuable information for publication and printing history, and, in theory, if all these statements are transcribed, then they could be pulled together if a researcher wants to see every item that has certain statements.

-Daryl

Daryl Green
Rare Books Cataloguer
Department of Special Collections
Library Annexe
North Haugh
St Andrews
KY16 9WH
Scotland

Tel: 01334 462339
E: speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk>
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/
Echoes from the Vault: a blog from the Special Collections of the University of St Andrews<http://standrewsrarebooks.wordpress.com/>

The Department of Special Collections of the University Library has relocated to new premises on the North Haugh and is now open to readers by appointment only. Please contact us on speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:speccoll at st-andrews.ac.uk> or 01334-462339 to book a seat in our Reading Room.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532