[DCRM-L] BL Proposal 6JSC/BL/8 on relationships with works of unknown or uncertain origin

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Aug 1 16:45:39 MDT 2012

Elizabeth,

I am pleased you brought this to our attention, and I think you make a number of excellent points, including the idea that attribution is probably best considered as a distinct qualifier element, separate from role (or relationship). As you point out, CCO (and the LIDO schema) have logically created a separate element for qualification data. Other example values given in LIDO for qualification include: studio of, workshop of, atelier of, office of, assistant of, associate of, pupil of, follower of, school of, circle of, style of, after copyist of, manner of. I think some of these qualifiers might be of use to our community too.

To my mild surprise, I notice now that MARC has even defined an “attribution qualifier” field already, in $j (of x00 fields). See:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdx00.html

Should the RBMS relator term for “attributed name” be used in $j?  I’ve only ever seen it in $e.

This item has not yet generated discussion among CC:DA, so far as I know, but I would be happy to convey our concerns.

Francis