[DCRM-L] RDA-acceptable: Indicating misprints

Fri Aug 3 17:14:47 MDT 2012

I've been thinking about how to indicate misprints in an RDA-acceptable way for DCRM. There was a decisive consensus during the preconference discussion session that it was imperative for us to be able to indicate a misprint within the element.

We could continue our current way of doing this, via  "[sic]" and "[i.e.]", but I'd rather we found a way to comply with the spirit of RDA by eschewing Latin words and abbreviations. "Sic" is problematic, since it's technical meaning is "thus" and has been used to indicate not only misprints but pre-modern but acceptable spellings, and in some cases, even the absence of a period after an abbreviation: London : Printed by Tho [sic] Cotes, http://shakespeare.folger.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=97497

I've been experimenting with using "[that is, ... ]" to give correct readings of all misprints and false imprints, and just bracketed insertions for missing words. Please see the attached for some early explorations. Please pay particular attention to items 8, 11, & 12.

Thanks,
Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | www.folger.edu