[DCRM-L] PCC BSR -- Rare materials (draft)

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Aug 8 10:32:31 MDT 2012

DCRM Colleagues,

Please find attached a draft of the report of the PCC Task Group on Inclusion of Rare Materials in the Unified BIBCO Standard Record (BSR). A discussion of this draft report began on the BSC listserv last week. We would now like to formally open the discussion to the DCRM list. The TG acknowledges that there is much to digest in the report; due to the constraints of the PCC schedule, however, we ask that all comments are submitted by Wednesday, August 15. BSC list members are also encouraged to continue submitting comments during this period.

As a reminder, the PCC BSR is a "floor record" and is the standard followed in creating bibliographic records within the PCC. It is only binding on catalogers creating PCC records, but could also be seen as a base standard that might inform non-PCC cataloging.

The introduction to the report provides a good general explanation of the work of the TG. Please read this introduction closely, since it provides a necessary framework for the ensuing BSR Metadata Application Profile (MAP).

As you review the MAP, consider the following:

*         Does the MAP include all elements necessary for a floor-level record for rare materials? (Please bear in mind that all the previously agreed on floor-level elements from the current BSR for Rare Books have been incorporated into the proposed MAP.)

*         Where the MAP offers notes on the application of elements for rare materials, is the text clear and correct?

*         Is the organization and presentation of the document clear enough? If not, how might it be improved?

*         The BSR anticipates a MAP with instructions for rare materials of all formats, following the PCC decision to unify the current BSRs. Do you see any problems with this approach? Do you have suggestions on how it might better be achieved?

As in the AACR2-based BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) for Rare Books, the current draft excludes books printed before 1500. The TG is receptive, however, to a reconsideration of this instruction. We acknowledge that incunables are generally best served by a fullness of cataloging beyond the floor level established by the BSR for rare materials. We feel, however, that this strict chronological exception is partially arbitrary and propose that the decision could be left to cataloger's judgment (that is, remove the restriction from the BSR). One might also argue that a removal of the exception for pre-1500 materials would help emphasize the notion that many post-1500 materials are also best served by a fullness of cataloging beyond the floor level established by the BSR. The restriction in the current BSR for Rare Books also means that a record for a pre-1500 book cannot be coded as a PCC rare book record, however full the description may be.

The TG would also like to draw attention to the wording in the instruction for Extent (3.4). As many of you know already, PCC has proposed the following LC-PCC Policy Statement: "Apply Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (DCRM) conventions when recording the extent of an early printed resource." We propose two modifications to this instruction: 1) remove the qualification "of an early printed resource," since rare materials cataloging may be applied to resources from any period; 2) append the following: "however, do not use abbreviations." That is, spell out the words "pages," "volumes," etc. The revised note is thus worded: "RM: Apply Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (DCRM) conventions when recording extent. However, do not use abbreviations."  If BSC agrees to the wording for Extent in the proposed BSR, BSC should recommend that the same two modifications be included in the LC-PCC Policy Statement.

The TG believes that the present RDA BSR for rare materials can serve as a key guiding document for the cataloging of rare materials with RDA. Its application provides a framework for creating a catalog record that may be coded "rda" and "dcrm[x]" (in 040 $e), which will be especially important in the present interval during which the DCRM modules will be revised for harmonization with RDA. Needless to say, this important provision cannot go forward without endorsement from BSC.

The TG thinks that the present BSR for rare materials can serve as a useful starting point for the revision of DCRM. Any BSC task force(s) charged with a DCRM revision might begin with the elements named in the BSR. In conjunction with  the present report, our TG plans to soon produce (and share) an auxiliary document in which we will provide a mapping from the elements named in this BSR to corresponding rules in DCRM(B).

The TG welcomes feedback on our draft BSR for rare materials. Comments need not be extensive. If you do not have time to comment in detail we'd appreciate hearing your general feelings about the BSR. We are certain that a healthy discussion will help our community in its ongoing efforts to harmonize DCRM and RDA.
During the initial week of discussion on the BSC list, several central elements of this BSR were of particular interest.

*         Multiple DCRM editors expressed concern about the BSR's ability to accommodate material from all rare formats, especially for modules not yet published (such as graphics or manuscripts).

*         The BSC discussions also centered on use of the dcrm code in field 040 for records created according to the present BSR, before BSC has established its own guidelines for RDA-acceptable cataloging.
In order for the BSR to go forward, a general consensus on these two issues will be vital, so please give them particular consideration.

Once the DCRM-L discussion closes (on August 15), the Task Group will ask BSC to take a few additional days to finalize discussion of the BSR, on Thursday and Friday, August 16-17.  During this time, final questions can be raised, resolved, and possible revisions can be made to the draft. The following week, the Bibliographic Standards Committee will vote on whether or not to approve the BSR.

For the Task Group,

Francis Lapka

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>