[DCRM-L] RDA - Transcription and correction of false imprints

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:42:45 MST 2012

I'd be happy to draft a proposal--can you suggest a model for that literary
genre?

Whether as part of the proposal or as obiter dictum, I'd want to address
the whole issue of false v. corrected publication etc. information at
various points in the record. Where the fixed field is concerned it is
strictly a MARC affair, is that right? In any case, the point to be made is
that *correct* data for these attributes essential to the identification of
a manifestation ought to be given primary status in the database for the
purpose of expressing identity and accurately reporting relationships with
other manifestations. The rules should reflect those priorities, which as I
understand it are fundamental priorities of RDA.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU