[DCRM-L] DCRM(B) 0C2c as applied to Deodatus, Pantheum hygiasticum (1628/1629)

John Lancaster jjlancaster at me.com
Mon Jul 23 20:27:19 MDT 2012

I'd tend to prefer two separate records in this case - the bit that tips me in that direction is that König is clearly very separate from Darbellay, both in place and scope of business, and the letterpress title page looks perfectly good for a stand-alone publication.  Given the earlier date on the letterpress title page, it seems awfully likely that copies were issued in Porrentruy, even if a substantial portion of the edition went to Basel.

If only one master record were chosen, I think it would have to be on the assumption that the work requires the 1629 title page.  And on that basis, 0C2 is pretty clear: the criteria are to be applied in order, and c) deals with difference in date.  As you say, 0C2d is not applicable if you assume the presence of both title pages.  Even then, I'd be reluctant to treat the Darbellay imprint as manufacturing information - the way it's presented on the letterpress title page certainly looks a lot like what 4A6.2 was written to deal with.  (Which leads me even more firmly back to two records.)

As to including Basel in the 260, I think it's just a question of where to put the bracketed information - in subfield a, I'd think, since if you're assuming König to be the publisher, the place of publication is where he's located.

John Lancaster