[DCRM-L] Relationship designators

JOHN C ATTIG jxa16 at psu.edu
Tue Jul 24 15:05:47 MDT 2012

I think that is up to the community. If there is general agreement with the process that Bob Maxwell described, then the absence of these terms from the RDA lists of relationship designators would not prevent anyone from using them (based on either the MARC list or the RBMS relator list).

The relationship between RDA and specialized cataloging communities and their tools is not completely clear. I think that RDA wants to allow such communities to extend the provisions of RDA with their own tools, and does not feel that everything must be incorporated into RDA -- which, like AACR2, is fundamentally a standard for general cataloging. Further, there is a place in the RDA Toolkit for such tools that does not necessarily involve their official incorporation into RDA itself.

On the other hand, the JSC is (as I said) quite open to making additions to the lists of relationship designators in order to assure coverage of all types of materials, including rare materials. I would think that terms that would be useful for general catalogers would be particularly important to add.

I would also note that anyone may propose such additions. If BSC is concerned about losing control of the process, it might be a good idea to present a comprehensive list of relators for rare materials from an authoritative source. Your choice.

John