[DCRM-L] Relationship designators

Wed Jul 25 18:30:36 MDT 2012

You may be right about the original intent and/or reason for the lack of those terms in the RDA list, but as far as LC is concerned (and the point was made quite, um, pointedly in training), the reason publisher &c. were not in the relationship designator list is because their relationship was encoded in the 264. From LC's RDA Module 3 <http://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/RDA%20training%20materials/LC%20RDA%20Training/Module3JulyExpressionsAndContent7-5.doc> : "Manifestation relationships such as publisher, manufacturer, and distributor are already elements in other parts of the description, so no need to repeat with a relationship designator."

I did notice the anomalous "printer" in the list.

John did indeed make the point that terms need not be present in an RDA appendix to be used, and that JSC is nevertheless very interested in getting proposals for new terms. I wouldn't call the RBMS list of relator terms a "supplemental list." It is a separate, self-contained list. Some forms of terms are different in RDA than in our list; our community may very well decide to use the RDA form when there is one, and provide a supplemental list when there isn't.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Wednesday, 25 July 2012 20:01
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Relationship designators

I don’t see any connection between use of 264 and presence of or lack of relationship designators in Appendix I. “Publisher,” “Distributor,” and “Bookseller” are not in Appendix I, it is true, but it’s not because information about them is recorded in the RDA publication statement (2.8), distribution statement (2.9) or manufacture statement (2.10), all of which are elements recorded in MARC in 264. “Printer” is on the list at I.4.1, and the same argument could be made about it—information about the printer is recorded in the manufacture statement (2.10). I think they’re not there simply because when the list was first compiled they weren’t asked for but they perfectly well could be there and John has outlined the mechanism for getting them there if we want them there. They all have to do with the manifestation, so there’s a place in the appendix for them (I.4). I suppose “bookseller” could in certain instances apply to the item, but there’s a place for that, too (I.5). We can either propose that they be added or we can legitimately (see 18.5.1.3 last paragraph) continue using them as terms from the MARC and RBMS lists (i.e., there aready is a “supplemental list” and we created it long ago). The terms don’t need to be “authorized” by their presence in Appendix I.

It’s also not clear to me that “it is likely that our community will want to lobby for continued use of field 260”. RDA 2.8.4.1 explicitly says “For early printed resources, printers and booksellers are treated as publishers” meaning they could be recorded in 264 _1 if it isn’t clear what the actual function is. So I don’t actually see the problem for our community with 264. (I do think that RDA 2.8.4.1 perhaps goes a bit too far—in my opinion if it is clear that an entity is the printer or bookseller and not the publisher we should make the distinction, but that, too, works fine in 264.)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602