[DCRM-L] DPC: changing "relator terms" to "relationship designators"

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Jul 27 08:00:58 MDT 2012

I'm inclined to think that "relationship designators" would have been an
easier sell than "relator codes" proved to be, back in the mid-90s when our
new opac was being indexed. More syllables, yes, but a clearer expression
of what the things are. "Codes" sounded like just another stupid techie
thing that only a cataloger would care about, and "relator" is a term
unknown in the conversation of civilized persons.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-3384 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU