[DCRM-L] Report of DCRM RDA Task Force

Carpenter, Jane jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 18 15:42:19 MDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

The DCRM/RDA Task Force, headed by Deborah J. Leslie and Catherine Uecker, has just issued its report, based on discussions held over the past six months of issues concerning the relationship of DCRM and RDA.    During the course of the discussions, it became apparent that more input from the entire rare materials cataloging community was needed.   As a result, rather than an outline of recommendations, the current report should be considered a first draft in which all of the major areas of concern are laid out, with different options suggested for each area.

The Task Force expects that discussion generated by the Preconference session in San Diego on Thursday, June 21, 1:30-3:00 pm--
"The Future of Rare Materials Cataloging Standards: Can DCRM and RDA Get Along?" moderated by Francis Lapka and Lori Dekydtspotter-and at the Bib Standards meeting in Anaheim on Saturday, June 23, 8:00 am-12 noon, will  help focus and redefine the issues presented in the report, and move the rare materials community towards consensus.

The Task Force report may be found at http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/rda/ReportDCRMRDA_20120618.pdf on the Bibliographic Standards Committee website, as well as through links on the Bib Standards "Conference Documents" site and the DCRM/RDA Task Force page.

I hope we will see you at either or both of the sessions noted above; we welcome and encourage input and ideas  from all interested and engaged members of the community.

Best regards,

Jane Carpenter
Chair, Bibliographic Standards Committee
UCLA Library Special Collections
jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu<mailto:jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu>